Position: Assistant Coach, Defensive Tackles
• Joined the Clemson staff as defensive line coach in January 2017.
• Bates became the first Clemson coach to mentor all four defensive line positions since Ron West in 2004, and just the second to do it since 1998.
• Coached one of the nation’s best defensive lines in 2017, including Austin Bryant, Clelin Ferrell, Dexter Lawrence and Christian Wilkins. All four earned either All-America or First-Team All-ACC honors.
• A big reason the 2017 Tigerse were second in the nation in scoring defense (13.6) and fourth in total defense (276.7).
• Helped Jacksonville State to a 33-6 record in three seasons (2014-16). The Gamecocks reached the FCS National Championship Game in 2015 and compiled a perfect 23-0 mark in the Ohio Valley Conference with three titles in his time there.
• Helped the 2016 Jacksonville State team to a 10-2 record and No. 6 final FCS ranking. That team was fourth in the nation in total defense, allowing just 275 yards per game.
• In 2014, Jacksonville State allowed a league-best 128 yards per game on the ground.
• Began his coaching career at Oxford High School in Alabama in 2007, then Oxford High School in Mississippi in 2008.
• Spent time as an assistant coach at Idaho State in 2011 and 2012, then at East Central Junior College in Mississippi in 2013.
• Earned three letters at Alabama as a defensive end from 2001-04. He served as a permanent co-captain in 2004.
• Alabama went to two bowl games during his career, his freshman year when the Crimson Tide beat Iowa State in the Independence Bowl and Music City Bowl his senior year.
• Alabama was 10-3 and No. 11 in the final AP poll in 2002, Bates’ sophomore season.
• Played defensive end for the Tennessee Titans in 2005.
March 14, 2019