Search Shop

Clemson Women’s Soccer Earns 0-0 Tie Against Furman

Oct. 7, 2003

Box Score

Greenville, SC – The Clemson women’s soccer team outshot Furman 26-7 and forced Lady Paladin goalkeeper to make 19 saves, but were unable to find the back of the net in a 0-0 tie on Tuesday night at Eugene Stone Soccer Stadium.

Clemson had an early scoring opportunity in the ninth minute as Courtney Foster’s shot from 18 yards out was tipped over the crossbar by Furman goalkeeper Andie Hinshaw.

Clemson continued applying pressure throughout the first half. In the 34th minute, Allison Mitchell ripped a shot 25 yards from goal. Hinshaw was able to get a glove on the shot and the rebound was cleared away by a Furman defender.

In the first half the Lady Tigers outshot the Lady Paladins 9-0, forcing Hinshaw to make eight first half saves.

Furman had an offensive chance early in the second half. Furman forward Danielle Petro sent a high pass over the top of the Clemson defense. Furman’s Emily Turgeon raced past the Clemson backline, but Clemson goalkeeper Lauren Whitt was able to come off her line and beat Turgeon to the ball.

Clemson nearly scored in the 56th minute as Amanda Garcia’s shot from the left side of the penalty area beat the goalkeeper, but a Furman defender was able to clear the ball off of the endline.

Furman looked to be the first on the board in the 62nd minute as Furman’s Petro dribbled through midfield toward the Clemson defense. Her shot from 25 yards out beat a diving Lauren Whitt, but curled just outside of the far post.

Furman continued to apply pressure to the Clemson defense. In the 77th minute, Furman’s Kelly Shedd sent a long ball over the top of the Lady Tiger defense. Turgeon ran onto the ball in the penalty area, but her 12-yard blast was just wide of the near post.

The action continued to build as Allison Graham’s direct kick from 28 yards struck the crossbar in the 84th minute. Clemson looked to have a chance at the rebound, but the loose ball was cleared away by a Furman defender.

Clemson had a chance to end the match three minutes into the first overtime session. Kate Clifton sent a through ball past the Furman defense. Foster ran onto the ball and had a breakaway with the Furman goalkeeper, but her shot from 15 yards out was batted away by Hinshaw.

Clemson had another chance for a goal in the 98th minute, but Amanda Garcia’s point blank shot was deflected by Hinshaw, and then bounced off the far post.

Furman had its final scoring opportunity in the 108th minute as a long ball was misplayed by the Clemson defense. Furman’s Emily Turgeon flicked the ball to Andrea Morrison, but again, Whitt came off her line to win the ball.

“I have a great respect for Furman and its coaching staff,” said head coach Todd Bramble. “Our plan was to sit back and counter-attack, and we did just that. I am very proud of our team. I am not happy with the result, but our team did everything that we asked them to, we just couldn’t manage to put the ball in the back of the net.”

With the tie, Clemson’s record moves to 7-2-2. The Lady Tigers are back in action on Friday as they travel to Maryland. Clemson returns home next Tuesday to face Florida State.

Shots: Clemson – 26; Furman – 7

Saves: Whitt(CU) – 1; Hinshaw(FU) – 19

Corner Kicks: Clemson – 8; Furman – 5

Fouls: Clemson – 12; Furman – 13