March 8, 2006
ATLANTA, GA–Clemson swept all six singles matches as the 15th-ranked Tigers defeated 18th-ranked Georgia Tech 6-1 in a men’s Atlantic Coast Conference match at Atlanta, GA Wednesday afternoon.
Clemson is ranked 15th nationally by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, while Georgia Tech is ranked 18th.
Clemson is now 15-2 overall and 2-0 in the ACC. Georgia Tech falls to 6-2 overall and 0-2 in league play.
The Jackets got on the board first by winning at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. The team of Scott Blackmon and Zachary Rath defeated Sander Koning and Brett Twente, 8-6. Clemson then evened things up with a win at No. 1 doubles as the duo of Jarmaine Jenkins and Clement Reix upset 42nd ranked Marko Rajevac and David North, 9-7. The Jackets then took the doubles point as Jordan Delass and George Gvelesiani paired to post a victory over Ryan Young and Ian Keeler, 8-6.
Clemson tied the match at 1-1 as Koning defeated Rajevac at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-1. The Tigers then took a 2-1 lead when Reix beat Rath at No. 2 singles, 6-4, 6-2. Clemson increased its lead to 3-1 when Jenkins won at No. 3 singles over North, 6-1, 6-4. The Tigers then won the deciding match when Young won at No. 4 singles over Delass, 6-4, 6-4.
In the other two matches on the day, Blackmon fell at No. 6 singles to Twente, 6-4, 6-4 while Gvelesiani dropped a straight set match at No. 5 singles to Clint Boling, 6-4, 6-4.
The Tigers will play Northern Arizona at Tempe AZ on Sunday and at Arizona State on Monday in Clemson’s next action.
Tennis Match Results
Clemson University vs Georgia Tech
Mar 08, 2006 at Bill Moore Tennis Center (outdoors)
#15 Clemson University 6, #18 Georgia Tech 1
1. Sander Koning (CU) def. Marko Rajevac (GT) 6-3, 6-1
2. #100 Clement Reix (CU) def. Zachary Rath (GT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jarmaine Jenkins (CU) def. David North (GT) 6-1, 6-4
4. Ryan Young (CU) def. Jordan Delass (GT) 6-4, 6-4
5. Clint Boling (CU) def. George Gvelesiani (GT) 6-4, 6-4
6. Brett Twente (CU) def. Scott Blackmon (GT) 6-4, 6-4
1. Reix/Jenkins (CU) def. #42 North/Rajevac (GT) 9-7
2. Blackmon/Rath (GT) def. Paul Koenke/Twente (CU) 8-6
3. Delass/Gvelesiani (GT) def. Young/Ian Keeler (CU) 8-6
Match Notes: Clemson University 15-2, 2-0 ACC; National ranking #15 Georgia Tech 6-2, 0-2 ACC; National ranking #18
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)
January 19, 2019
January 18, 2019
January 17, 2019
November 28, 2018