Search Shop

Tigers Fall 3-2 In Double Overtime

Oct. 28, 1999

GREENVILLE, S.C. – The sixth-ranked Furman men’s soccer team escaped a physical, hard-fought battle with in-state rival Clemson 3-2 Wednesday night in double overtime at Eugene Stone Soccer Stadium.

With the match tied at 2-2 with less than one minute remaining in the second overtime Furman’s Andy Foy scored his second goal of the night on a bizarre play. Furman keeper Scott Blount sent a goalkick top the midfield strike where Carl Junot played a bouncing ball to the top of the goalbox. Foy and Clemson’s Christian Baldwin both went up for a header, with Tiger goalie Mark Paisant also pursuing the ball. The ball was headed back behind Paisant and rolled into the net to end the match as 500-plus Furman supporters rushed the field.

The match was the second most viewed home soccer match in Furman history with an attendance of 2,852. The match is eclipsed only by the 1995 dedication match of Eugene Stone Soccer Stadium in which Pele was in attendance and tops the 2,345 that watched Furman and South Carolina play to a 1-1 tie earlier this season.

Clemson scored first as Bob Cavanaugh connected off a crisp double assist by Ross Goodacre and Ian Fuller at the 3:46 mark. Daniel Alvarez came up with another of his 35-yard throw ins to even the score at 1-1 as Carl Junot knocked in Alvarez’ throw-in at the 20:31 mark of the first half.

Furman, who controlled play throughout much of the first half, took the 2-1 lead at the 36:43 mark as Andy Foy headed in a cross by Stephen Rodriguez. Anthony Esquivel crossed the ball to the left side of the box and Rodriguez crossed it back to the right side to Foy.

Clemson came out strong in the second half and evened the score at 2-2 on an Alan Woods header. Woods’ header came after a Jeremy Iwaskowiec header off a Mark Lisi free kick. The Paladins and Tigers played scoreless throughout the rest of the second half and the first overtime period. The second overtime period appeared to be heading for a 2-2 draw before the Paladins won the match with 51 seconds to play.

“This was a great game between two great teams,” said Furman head coach Doug Allison. “It is nice to win a match like this. It was a hard-fought battle and I am proud of our players for hanging in and coming out on top. This win will go a long way toward putting us in the NCAA Tournament.”

Furman leading scorer John Barry Nusum exited the match in the 18th minute and did not return until the 112th. The Paladins also played without central midfielder Paul Leese, who exited the match in the 20th minute. Clemson goalkeeper Josh Campbell played in the first half, but did not return after allowing two goals.

Furman improves to 14-1-1, while Clemson falls to 8-6-2. The Paladins face Georgia Southern on Sunday at 2 p.m. in their final regular season match. Clemson hosts Maryland Saturday night.


CU - Bob Cavanaugh (Goodacre, Fuller assists)               3:46FU - Carl Junot (Alvarez assist)                           20:31FU - Andy Foy (Esquivel, Rodriguez assists)                36:43CU - Alan Woods (Iwaszkowiec, Lisi assists)                51:15FU - Andy Foy (Junot, Blount assists)                     119:09

Shots On Goal: Furman 14, Clemson 16. Corner Kicks: Furman 5, Clemson 2. Saves: Furman 7, Clemson 4 (Campbell -2, Paisant -2). Fouls: Furman 25, Clemson 22.