Search Shop
Clemson Defeats Furman In Overtime

Clemson Defeats Furman In Overtime

Oct. 17, 2001

GREENVILLE, SC – Steven Rhyne scored the winning goal with 8:20 left to go in the second overtime period to lead 11th-ranked Clemson to a 3-2 win over 15th-ranked Furman in a men’s intercollegiate soccer match at Greenville, SC Wednesday night.

Clemson had to play with nine men during the overtime period due to ejections. Clemson improved to 9-3 overall, while Furman falls to 9-3 this season. The Tigers are ranked 11th by Soccer America and 15th in the NSCAA. Clemson is also ranked 14th in the poll. Furman is ranked 15th in the Soccer America poll and tied for 22nd in the NSCAA poll.

The score was tied 2-2 at the half and a scoreless second half sent the game into overtime. Rhyne scored the game-winner off a misclear in the Furman defense. Rhyne collected the ball and outran Furman defenders, creating a one-on-one situation with the Furman goalkeeper, Scott Blount. Rhyne sent a shot over the goalkeeper’s head and into the upper left corner of the goal from 16 yards out. Paul Souders finished the night with two goals for the Tigers.

Clemson scored first at the 11:28 mark. The Tiger’s Ian Fuller took a shot and it deflected off Furman’s goakeeeper Blount. A Furman defender cleared the ball. However, Clemson’s Souders collected the ball and sent a shot to the upper right half of the goal.

Furman evened the score at the 19:32 mark. Jack Handy sent the ball in the box from the right. Patrick Tanner sent a shot from six yards out to the upper right corner of the goal for his second goal of the season.

Clemson took a 2-1 lead at the 29:08 mark. Ian Fuller passed the ball to Souders on the right. Souders sliding shot sent the ball around the Furman goalkeeper, Blount from eight yards out. This was Sounder’s second goal of the game and fifth goal of the season.

Furman tied the game 2-2 at the 34:01 point. A misclear by a Clemson defender and the goalkeeper created a loose ball at the top of the box and Furman’s Anthony Esquivel was there to score an easy goal for the Paladins. This was his third goal this year.

Clemson played with a man down when Ricky Lewis received his second yellow card of the evening at the 59:15 mark. The Tigers played with 10 men until the 87:18 mark in regulation. Clemson’s Kevin Conaway received his second yellow card of the evening and the Tigers were forced to play with nine men. In fact, Clemson played with nine men for 24 minutes and 22 seconds until Rhyne scored the goal. This was Rhyne’s fourth goal of the season.

“In all my years of coaching this was the biggest display of character I have ever seen,” said Clemson Head Coach Trevor Adair. ” I am so proud of this team. We took it to them with nine men. This is very difficult to play with only nine players against a good team like Furman. I am very happy with this win. We fought hard and stayed composed.”

“With only nine guys out there we were simply battling and fighting for a tie,” said Steven Rhyne. “It just happened that I was able to pick up a touch from one of their defenders and I was lucky to get a shot past their goalkeeper. It is a very emotional win for us, and one we needed very badly.”

Clemson-Paul Souders (Unassisted) 11:28 Furman-Patrick Turner (Janck Handy) 19:32 Clemson-Paul Souders (Ian Fuller) 29:08 Furman-Anthony Esquivel (Unassisted) 34:01 Clemson-Steven Rhyne (Unassisted) 111:40

Shots: Clemson 10, Furman 17 Corner Kicks: Clemson 4, Furman 4 Saves: Doug Warren (CU) 8, Scott Blount (F) 5 Fouls: Clemson 42, Furman 32 Attendance: 2,809