Clemson, S.C. – The Clemson track and field team is set to return to action as the team will host the Clemson Opener tomorrow, with competition set to start at 10 a.m. The Clemson team will be joined by 17 other schools in the one-day meet. This will be the first of five meets that the Tigers will host this season, all set to be held during the indoor campaign.
Meet: Clemson Opener
Where: Clemson Indoor Track & Field Complex
Events are set to start at 10 a.m.
Home Meet Page
“This meet gives us a snapshot of where we are as a program. It allows the athletes to showcase the work that they have put in since the beginning of the season and gives them something to preserve over the winter break. This meet has continued to grow and will set the bar for the rest of the year.”
· Clemson will have five athletes starting the competition at 10 a.m., with all competing in field events.
· Look for a flurry of newcomers to make their marks on the opening weekend of competition.
· Saturday will feature seven individuals who earned Outdoor National Championship bids during the 2019 season.
· Chis McBride is the lone Tiger to have earned National Championship nods for the indoor and outdoor campaigns, competing in the long jump both times.
· The Tigers will be spread out amongst nine field events, seven track events and two relays.
· Marcus Parker, Rebekah Smith and Roje Stona will be competing for the Tigers after representing their respective countries in the NACAC U23 games over the summer.
· Parker and Smith earned gold medals as a part of the USA’s 4x100m relays, for the men’s and women’s teams, respectively. Stona won the discus throw while representing Jamaica.
· Veronica Fraley competed for the Tigers at the U20 PanAm Games in the women’s discus throw, finishing fifth overall and as the top-American.