CLEMSON, S.C.– The Clemson men’s tennis team defeated South Carolina State for the second time this season by the score of 4-1 on Sunday afternoon at Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. With the win, the Tigers improve to 16-13 overall on the season surpassing last seasons win total by four. The Tigers finished the regular season on a three match win streak going into next weeks ACC Championships.
Clemson clinched the doubles point against the Bulldogs of South Carolina State with two quick wins on courts one and three. Alex Favrot and Daffra Sanon sailed at No. 3 doubles, 6-1. Luke Johnson and Christian Harris clinched the doubles point for the Tigers with a win at No. 1, 6-3.
The Bulldogs gained a point back from the Tigers at No. 3 singles, tying the overall score at one a piece. Luke Johnson gave the lead back to the Tigers when his opponent retired in the second set. Alex Favrot defeated his opponent in two sets at No. 1, 6-4, 6-1, taking the Tigers lead to 3-1. Brent Lett clinched the match for Clemson at No. 6, 6-2, 6-3. Christian Harris and Arturo Pinazo were leading their opponents on their respective courts before the match was called.
The Clemson men’s tennis team is the No. 9 seed for the 2016 ACC Championships in Cary, N.C. this week. The Tigers face No. 8 North Carolina State in the second round on Thursday, April 21 at 1 p.m. at the Cary Tennis Park
Clemson 4, South Carolina State 1
1. #117 Alex Favrot (CU) def. Vlad Yanchenko (SCST) 6-4, 6-1
2. Luke Johnson (CU) def. Jakub Vitek (SCST) 6-2, 1-0 retired
3. Stanislav Baco (SCST) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Arturo Pinazo (CU) vs. Aleksander Stupar (SCST) 7-6 (3), 4-1 unfinished
5. Christian Harris (CU) vs. Edgar Diaz (SCST) 6-4, 3-4 unfinished
6. Brent Lett (CU) def. Jan Brenk (SCST) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 3,2,1,6*
1. Christian Harris/Luke Johnson(CU) def. Jakub Vitek/Jan Brenk (SCST) 6-3
2. Arturo Pinazo/Austin Ansari (CU) vs. Vlad Yanchenko/Salih Gilmutdinov 4-4 unfinished
3. Daffra Sanon/Alex Favrot (CU) def. Stanislav Baco/Edgar Diaz (SCST) 6-1
Order of finish: 3,1
November 7, 2021
November 6, 2021
November 5, 2021
November 3, 2021