Search Shop

Reporting Resources

With Whom Do I Talk?

Student athlete handbook 2022-23 (PDF) Reporting Resources (PDF)

Playing Time / Team Issues

Talk to your coach.  If you are more comfortable talking to an assistant coach do so, but know that coaches have ultimate responsibility for playing time / team dynamics / program administration.  The Clemson Athletic Department administration will not address issues regarding playing time.

Issues with Your Program

After discussing concerns with the coach(s), and feeling that the issue has not been resolved, talk to the administrator who supervises the sport. These sport administrators are:

Stephanie Ellison: Women’s Basketball, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Rowing

Natalie Honnen: Men’s and Women’s Golf, Softball, Volleyball

Kyle Young: Baseball, Men’s and Women’s Soccer

Kevin White: Football, Men’s Basketball

Steve Duzan: Men’s and Women’s Tennis, Track and Field, Cross Country

Reporting Violations or Issues with NCAA / ACC Rules

If you are aware or suspect possible NCAA/ACC rules violation (s) or need clarification on rules, you should contact the Director of Compliance Services, Associate Athletics Director Amanda Gray Richardson [ (864)656-4138], or any member of the Clemson Athletics Compliance staff [ ] which are located in the McFadden Building.

Real Response: Report an Issue

Each month, student-athletes will receive a prompt to report any issues related to their student-athlete experience. Concerns may range from compliance or time management concerns, gambling, hazing, drugs/alcohol, discrimination, sexual assault, team issues, domestic violence, social issues, health/wellness issues, etc. to less serious issues such as a maintenance problem in your locker room. As a reminder, your communication is anonymous. Student-athletes are also able text “Report an Issue” to 66595 at any time, you will receive a link to file a report anonymously with administration.

Click here for a Real Response information sheet.

Issues with Your Student-Athlete Experience

Some staff are uniquely qualified in certain areas such as athletic trainers (injuries, health issues); academic advisors and learning specialists (academic issues); compliance directors (questions on ACC/NCAA rules, scholarship, eligibility); the Faculty Athletic Representative – Antonis Katsiyannis (welfare and academic/faculty concerns); or you may prefer talking to another member of staff (including your coaches and/or sport administrators) with whom you feel most comfortable, and they will guide you as to your next steps. Natalie Honnen is a good resource, particularly in the areas of welfare, wellness, mental health, conduct and behavior. Know too that student-athletes represent each team on the Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC). Issues can be brought to them for discussion with the Council who can then bring it to the administration if appropriate.

Confidential Help

This office of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), located in Redfern Health Center, is one of only two offices on campus where a student can talk with a University employee when they wish their issue to be totally confidential.  The CUAD has two counselors on staff for student-athletes, who are required to maintain confidentiality unless the student-athlete gives various levels of permission for the counsellor to communicate with another individual.  (The student-athlete is not required to see this counsellor exclusively). The CAPS number is: 864-656-2451.  Access to this office after-hours can be obtained by calling 864-656-2222 and asking for the counsellor-on-call.

Assistance with Student Policies, Campus Resources or Student in Crisis:

The Office of Advocacy and Success can help students understand University policies and procedures, educate them about and connect them to campus resources, and support students in crisis. Student-athletes may, at any time, contact the Office of Advocacy and Success 864-656-0935 or Office of Community and Ethical Standards (OCES), 864-656-0510.

Reporting a Crime

If the incident occurred on campus a report should be made to the Clemson University Police Department (CUPD) call 911 or (864) 656-2222. 

If the incident occurred away from campus, concerned persons should call 911, or travel to the local law enforcement agency where the incident occurred.

Interpersonal Violence/Sexual Assault- Related Resources

The response coordinators support students who identify as victims, survivors, and/or secondary survivors of interpersonal violence. This may include stalking, sexual violence, domestic violence and dating abuse/violence. They can connect you to on and off-campus resources, offer crisis intervention, safety planning, and advocacy among other things. The best way to get connected to an IVRC is by filing a CARE report through the Office of Advocacy and Success and indicating on the form that you are seeking interpersonal violence response services. However, you can also call, email, or stop by their offices to discuss related resources and options. In an emergency, filing a CARE report is not appropriate. Contact the Clemson University Police Department’s emergency line – 864-656-2222 for immediate assistance.

Bat’sé Smart

305 Sirrine Hall

Phone: 864-656-6857


Lauren Parker

307 Sirrine Hall

Phone: 864-656-1136


NOTE: Talking to a response coordinator is NOT the same thing as filing an official report. However, IVRCs will inform you about your reporting options if you choose to file one.

Additional Resources:

Title IX (Sexual Misconduct) Violations

Cases involving possible Title IX violations, discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., sex discrimination), including sexual harassment, sexual assault, and sexual violence, may be reported by a student-athlete, sports administrators, or any member of the CUAD administration to the Executive Sr. Associate AD (Natalie Honnen, (864-656-9254), or to the University Title IX Coordinator (Alesia Smith, (864)656-3181, 223 Brackett Hall, Reports of sexual misconduct shall be promptly investigated and also reported to the Clemson University Police Department [(864) 656-2222]. Employees who fail to report alleged or suspected violations of this policy to the appropriate campus office in a timely manner may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination. The Office of Access and Equity will conduct or direct any investigation related to Title IX violations.

Reporting Non-Criminal Activity, or if you are Unsure of the Type of Activity but are Concerned

Per the Clemson University Student Handbook, “Anyone may initiate a complaint against any student or student organization for misconduct. The complaint should be submitted in writing and directed to the Office of Community and Ethical Standards.” This is the online reporting form:

CARE NETWORK, Reporting Concerns Regarding a Student’s Behavior

Student-athletes should talk with sports medicine staff, academic advisors, coaches or administrative staff regarding concerns about fellow-student athletes. However, if the concern is for a non-athlete, or you do not feel the desire to contact a CUAD staff member, the University has a CARE network for anyone to make a report of concern.

The Office of Advocacy & Success is under the Division of Student Affairs at Clemson University. The purpose of this office is to serve all current Clemson students as a trusted place for care, advocacy, and referrals to campus and community partners. This office works to inspire an individual sense of belonging, student success, and retention. We partner with students, their families, campus and community partners, faculty, and staff to empower our students to achieve academic and personal success and to build resilience. Common reasons to file a CARE Network referral can include Academic Concerns, Adjustment Issues, Behavioral Concerns, Career or Graduation, Death or Grief, Financial, Personal Health or Wellness, Relationships or Student Engagement. To file a report, use this link:

Access and Equity

Per their website, “The Office of Access and Equity coordinates the development of policy, procedures, programs, and services related to equality of opportunity in employment, business access, admissions, retention, academics, advancement, and general treatment for faculty, staff, students and visitors. Access and Equity monitors the University’s compliance with all federal, state and University policies related to equitable treatment and unlawful discrimination.” Procedures for filing a formal complaint can be found at: or by calling 864-656-3181.

Protection for All Consulting

A primary focus of PFA’s training is to prevent misconduct by discussing factors used to determine if behavior crosses the line and encourage attendees to raise concerns and ask questions. Moreover, PFA verifies resources available for addressing problems, which PFA learns about during its continual assessments. Due to the highprofile nature of intercollegiate athletics and real or perceived power imbalances that exist, PFA trains the Clemson Athletics Department in a unique manner: PFA conducts in-person training with most of the training in smaller groups in which supervisory and non-supervisory personnel are trained separately. For student-athletes, the effort is made to train most sports teams in separate sessions, while never allowing the presence of coaches or administrators. If you would like to report a concern, please contact Mike McCall at 214-415-8121.

Ombudsman Office

The Ombuds Office is a confidential*, independent, neutral, informal, and safe venue to discuss concerns, conflicts, and challenges that arise during your time at Clemson. *Confidentiality is subject to the Ombuds Office charter. The Ombuds can provide conflict coaching, mediation, facilitation, and referrals to other resources and can help you figure out your next steps in a difficult situation. There’s no limit to what you can bring to the Ombuds Office. Dr. Gordon Halfacre is the Ombuds for Faculty and Students and can be reached at or 864-656-4353. Tessa Byer is the Ombuds for Staff and can be reached at or 864-656-5353.

University Policy Violations and/or Ethical Violations

In cases of possible violations of University policies or ethical violations, student-athletes may contact a coach, sports administrators, any member of the CUAD administration, the Director of Athletics, or the Clemson University Internal Auditing Office via the toll-free Ethics/Safety Line (third-party monitored by Lighthouse Services; reporters may remain confidential) at 1-(877)503-7283. The University Internal Auditing Office will conduct or direct any investigation related to violations of University policies or ethical violations.

Academic Integrity or Fraud:

Student-athletes with questions, concerns or violations of the Academic Integrity Policy may contact the Director of Athletic Academic Services, Matt Lombardi- (508)243-7590 or The Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies (864) 656-3022 [John Griffin, Associate Provost –].