March 8, 2001
Clemson vs. North Carolina Friday, March 9, 2001 12:00 Noon (EST) ACC Tournament Georgia Dome * Atlanta, GA
TV: ESPN/Jefferson Pilot Radio: Clemson Tiger Network Play By Play: Jim Phillips * Color: Tim Bourret
* When Clemson defeated Florida State on Thursday night it marked just the the fifth time in history that Clemson had won an ACC Tournament game against a team that had defeated the Tigers twice in the regular season. Clemson is now 5-29 in that situation in history. Two of the five wins have now come against Florida State. Clemson broke an 18-game losing streak in that situation with an 87-75 win over the Seminoles at the 1993 at Charlotte. Clemson also accomplished that feat against North Carolina in 1996.
* Clemson’s 66-64 win over Florida State in the first round was just Clemson’s 13th win in the 48-year history of the ACC Tournament. It was was registered on March 8, 2001, the exact five-year anniversary of Clemson’s 75-73 win over North Carolina. Greg Buckner’s dunk with 0.6 seconds left gave the Tigers the win.
* That 75-73 win in Greensboro in 1996 is Clemson’s only ACC Tournament win over North Carolina. The Tar Heels are 11-1 against the Tigers in the ACC Tournament.
* The last time Clemson and North Carolina met, the Tigers gained a 75-65 win over the #1 ranked Tar Heels. Clemson had lost eight games in a row and North Carolina had won 18 in a row heading into that game. It marked just the second time in Clemson history that the Tigers had defeated the #1 team in the nation, the first time since a win over #1 Duke, 87-82 in overtime on January 9, 1980.
* Clemson had a 10-14 record heading into that game. The 14 losses stand as the most losses ever for a team (at the time of the game) that upset the nation’s top ranked team. It was the first time in 23 years that a team with a losing record defeated the number-one team in a game played after January 10th.
* Clemson has not beaten North Carolina twice in the same season since 1963-64. The Tigers won at Clemson 66-64 in double overtime, then won in Charlotte in double overtime by a 97-90 score.
April 19, 2019
April 11, 2019
April 4, 2019
March 25, 2019