April 16, 2004
RALEIGH, NC-Damiisa Robinson defeated Zachary Rath at number five singles 6-7, 7-5, 6-2 and clinched the match as fifth-seeded Clemson defeated fourth seeded Georgia Tech 4-3, in the quarterfinal round of the 46th annual ACC Men’s Tennis Championship at the Millbrook Exchange Tennis Center in Raleigh, NC Friday afternoon.
Clemson improves to 22-10 overall, while Georgia Tech falls to 15-7 this season. Clemson has won six matches in a row. Georgia Tech is ranked 26th nationally according to the latest ITA poll.
The Tigers will play top-seeded North Carolina Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m.
Clemson clinched the doubles point as Jarmaine Jenkins and Nathan Thompson defeated Scott Schnugg and Marko Rajevac of Georgia Tech 9-8. Schnugg and Rajevac are ranked 15th nationally, while Thompson and Jenkins are ranked 32nd nationally.
In singles, Georgia Tech posted wins at number two singles as Jose Luis Muguruza defeated Jarmaine Jenkins 6-3, 6-2 giving the Jackets a 2-1 lead. The Tigers tied the match at 2-2 as John Boetsch defeated West Nott 7-6, 6-2.
Clemson won at number six singles and took a 3-2 lead in the match as Ryan Young defeated Joao Menano 7-6, 6-1. The match was tied 3-3 as Georgia Tech’s Schnugg defeated Thompson in three sets, 6-1, 4-6, 7-5 at number one singles. Robinson then cliched the match at number five singles.
QUARTERFINAL ROUND – Clemson 4, Georgia Tech 3
Friday, April 16, 2004
1. Scott Schnugg, GaT def. Nathan Thompson, Clem., 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
2. Jose Luis Muguruza, GaT def. Goran Sterijovski, Clem., 6-4, 6-3
3. Jason Pieters, GaT def. Jarmaine Jenkins, Clem., 6-3, 6-2
4. John Boetsch, Clem. def. West Nott, GaT, 7-6 (5), 6-2
5. Damiisa Robinson, Clem. def. Zachary Rath, GaT, 6-7 (6), 7-5, 6-2
6. Ryan Young, Clem. def. Joao Menano, GaT, 7-6 (5), 6-1
1. Thompson/Jenkins, Clem. def. Schnugg/Rajevac, GaT, 9-8 (3)
2. Luis/Pieters, GaT def. Boetsch/Robinson, Clem., 8-6
3. Young/Twente, Clem. def. Nott/Menano, GaT, 8-6
FINAL SCORE: Clemson 4, Georgia Tech 3
January 16, 2021
January 15, 2021
January 14, 2021