DURHAM, N.C.– Junior Robert Dudley clinched the match for the Tigers in a three set thriller to take down #64 Duke on Friday afternoon. The Clemson men’s tennis team overpowered the Duke Blue Devils by a score of 4-3 at the Ambler Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Tigers improve to 15-13 overall and 5-7 in the ACC, while the Blue Devils fall to 11-13 overall and 4-7 in the ACC.
“We knew it was going to be a battle with Duke and we have a ton of respect for Duke’s program. The team showed a lot of heart and guts to come from 0-3 and Dudley came up clutch at the end,” Said Associate Head Coach John Boetsch. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Lana and Travis Stevens and their family, the guys wanted to get this win for Mrs. Lana. She is a mother to our team and we appreciate all she does for us.”
The Blue Devils of Duke clinched the doubles point against the Tigers with wins on courts two and three. Alex Favrot and Daffra Sanon fell at No. 2 doubles, 6-1. Duke clinched the doubles point after a 6-4 victory at No. 3. Christian Harris and Luke Johnson were up 4-3 before doubles play was called.
The Tigers quickly found themselves down 3-0 after falling on courts one and four in singles play. Junior Daffra Sanon gave momentum back to the Tigers with a two set win at No. 3, 6-1, 6-4. Christian Harris kept the come back alive for the Tigers winning in two sets at No. 6, 7-5, 6-2. At No. 2, Luke Johnson evened the score at three a piece winning in two hard fought sets, 7-5, 7-5. The match came down to Robert Dudley at No. 5. After dropping the first set, 2-6, Dudley battled back to take the next two sets, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5), clinching the match for the Tigers.
The Tigers return to the courts on Sunday, April 17 against South Carolina State. The match was scheduled this week and is set for a 3 p.m. start time at Hoke Sloan Tennis Center.
Clemson 4, #64 Duke 3
1. #22 Nicolas Alvarez (DU) def. #117 Alex Favrot (CU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Luke Johnson (CU) def. Catalin Mateas (DU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Daffra Sanon(CU) def. TJ Pura (DU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Josh Levine (DU) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Robert Dudley (CU) def. Daniel McCall (DU) 2-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5)
6. Christian Harris (CU) def. Jason Lapidus (DU) 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 4,1,3,6,2,5*
1. Christian Harris/Luke Johnson(CU) vs. Nicolas Alvarez/TJ Pura (DU) 4-3
2. Jason Lapidus/Daniel McCall def. Daffra Sanon/Alex Favrot (CU) 6-1
3. Catalin Mateas/Josh Levine (DU) def. Robert Dudley/Austin Ansari (CU) 6-4
Order of finish: 2,3
December 6, 2023
November 17, 2023
November 3, 2023
October 29, 2023