CLEMSON, S.C. – Senior Austin Ansari’s two-set win at No. 4 singles clinched a 4-3 victory for the Clemson men’s tennis team over the University of Miami on Sunday morning at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. With the win, the Tigers improved to 13-11 overall and 4-5 in the ACC, while the Hurricanes fell to 7-11 (2-6 ACC).
“Austin came up big under pressure at the end. It was a great team win with a lot of guys stepping up and playing well. We are getting tougher down the stretch,” said Associate Head Coach John Boetsch. “Our inspiration came from volunteer coach Mike Sprengelmeyer today. When the guys found out it was his 45th wedding anniversary they wanted to win for him and Pat,” said Head Coach Chuck McCuen.
The Tigers clinched the doubles point against the Hurricanes with wins on court two and three. Daffra Sanon and Robert Dudley won their No. 3 doubles match by a score of 6-3, improving to 9-4 overall. Austin Ansari and Arturo Pinazo went on to clinch the doubles point for the Tigers at No. 2, winning 6-4.
Christian Harris set the bar for the Tigers in singles, cruising to a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 6 to give the Tigers at 2-1 lead, after the Hurricanes tied the match with a win at No. 5 singles. Daffra Sanon gave the Tigers a 3-1 lead, winning in two sets at No. 3, 6-2, 6-3. After a loss at No. 1 singles and No. 2 singles to tie the match at three a piece, senior Austin Ansari clinched the match for the Tigers in two sets, prevailing through injury, winning 7-6(7), 6-4.
The Tigers return to the courts on Friday, April 8 when they host Virginia Tech. First serve for the match against the Hokies is set for 2 p.m. at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center.
Clemson 4, Miami 3
1. #38 Piotr Lomacki (UM) def. Alex Favrot (CU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Max Andrews (UM) def. Luke Johnson (CU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Daffra Sanon (CU) def. Jesse Flores (UM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Austin Ansari (CU) def. Fermin Calvo (UM) 7-6(7), 6-4
5. Bernard Tefel (UM) def. Robert Dudley (CU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Christian Harris (CU) def. Niclas Genovese (UM) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 5,6,3,2,1,4
1. Alex Favrot/Luke Johnson(CU) vs. Max Andrews/Bernard Tefel (UM) 4-5 dnf.
2. Austin Ansari/Arturo Pinazo (CU) def. Piotr Lomacki (UM) 6-4
3. Robert Dudley/Daffra Sanon (CU) def. Jesse Flores/Kevin Bondar (UM) 6-3
Order of finish: 3,2
August 10, 2020
August 7, 2020
July 27, 2020
May 29, 2020