CARY, N.C. – The Clemson men’s tennis team fell to North Carolina State in the ACC Championships second round by a score of 4-2 on Thursday afternoon at the Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C. With the loss the Tigers finish the season 16-14 overall.
North Carolina State clinched the doubles point against the Tigers with wins on courts one and two. Alex Favrot and Daffra Sanon were first off the court, winning 6-3 at No. 3 before NC State was victorious on court two, 6-3. The crucial doubles point came down to Luke Johnson and Christian Harris at No. 1, falling 7-6 (4).
The Wolfpack secured victories on courts two, four and five to clinch the match over the Tigers. Alex Favrot evened the score at one, defeating his NC State opponent, 54th-ranked singles player Simon Norenius, 6-4, 6-2. Clemson took a 2-1 lead after Luke Johnson defeated 95th-ranked Nick Horton, 7-5, 6-2. North Carolina State took the next three points, moving on to the quarterfinals of the ACC Championships tomorrow against the nations number one team Virginia.
Clemson 2, #44 NC State 4
1. Alex Favrot (CU) def. #54 Simon Norenius (NCST) 6-4, 6-2
2. #102 Thomas Weigel (NCST) def. Daffra Sanon (CU) 7-6 (5), 6-2
3. Luke Johnson (CU) def. #95 Nick Horton (NCST) 7-5, 6-2
4. Igor Saveljic (NCST) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Ivan Saveljic (NCST) def. Robert Dudley (CU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
6. Christian Harris (CU) vs. Shoti Meparidze (NCST) 4-6, 6-1, 4-4 dnf
Order of finish: 1,3,4,2,5*
1. Simon Norenius/Thomas Weigel (NCST) def. Luke Johnson/Christian Harris (CU) 7-6(4)
2. Igor Saveljic/Ivan Saveljic (NCST) def. Austin Ansari/Arturo Pinazo (CU) 6-3
3. Alex Favrot/Daffra Sanon (CU) def. Nick Horton/Michael Ogden (NCST) 6-3
Order of finish: 3,2,1
November 19, 2020
November 2, 2020
August 10, 2020
August 7, 2020