Oct. 1, 2011
Recap | Final Stats | Photo Gallery 1 | Photo Gallery 2
Team Notes * With tonight’s win over 10th ranked (USA Today) and 11th ranked AP Virginia Tech, Clemson becomes the first ACC team to win three consecutive games on three consecutive weekends over top 25 opponents. Two weeks ago Clemson defeated 19th-ranked Auburn and last week Clemson downs 11th ranked Florida State.
* This was Clemson’s first win over Virginia Tech since 1989, a 27-7 victory in Blacksburg. Clemson had lost five straight games to the Hokies over that period of time, all to Frank Beamer.
* Clemson is 5-0 for the first time since 2000 when the Tigers started 8-0. It is just the ninth start of at least 5-0 in the history of Clemson football, just the second Clemson won the National Championship with a 12-0 mark in 1981.
* With the victory Clemson ended Virginia Tech’s 12-game ACC winning streak and its 14-game regular season winning streak.
* Tonight was Clemson’s 20th road win over a ranked team in its history, but its first by 20 points. Clemson’s previous largest margin of victory over a ranked team on the road was 11 points, a 28-17 win at 19th ranked North Carolina in 1994, and a 34-23 win at 16th ranked Florida State in 1989.
* If Clemson moves into the top 10 this week it will be the first time for the program since a number-nine preseason ranking in 2008. Clemson has not been ranked in the top 10 of either poll during the season since October 22, 2006 when the Tigers were 7-1 and ranked 10th in the AP poll.
* Clemson is now 2-0 in the ACC to start the season for the first time since 2007 when the Tigers defeated Florida State and NC State to start the season. Clemson has not won its first three ACC games to start the season since 2000 when it started 5-0 in the ACC.
* Clemson has won five straight games to open the season against five teams who won some type of a championship last year. Clemson has beaten Troy (Sun Belt Champion), Wofford (Southern Conference), Auburn (SEC and National Champion), Florida State (Atlantic Division of ACC) and Virginia Tech (ACC), to open the season.
* Clemson Head Coach was presented a game ball by Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen after the game. Allen represented the team in presenting it. Prior to that Head Coach Dabo Swinney presented a game ball to Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips.
* Clemson’s defense has now allowed just one touchdown in the second half this year. There was one other touchdown in the second half scored on a fumble return by Florida State. Clemson has outscored the opposition 88-32 in the second half this year.
* Clemson’s defense had just four sacks for 27 yards in the first four games combined. They had four sacks for 31 yards this evening.
Individual Notes * Cullen Harper between 2005-07. Those were the first 165 passes of Harper’s career.
* Boyd threw for 204 yards this evening and has now thrown for at least 200 yards in five straight games. He joins Charlie Whitehurst as the only Clemson quarterbacks to have at least five straight games with 200 yards passing.
* It was Boyd’s second straight win in Lane Stadium. As a senior in high school he won a state championship (2008) for Phoebus High over Dinwiddie High, 37-6.
* Michael Dean Perry as the only defensive lineman with five in a game. Perry had five in a game against NC State in 1987. His five tackles for loss were the most ever by a Clemson player in a road game. He is the first Tiger with three sacks in a game since Da’Quan Bowers had three against Maryland last year.
* Tig Willard had nine tackles this evening to support Branch. It was his career single game high.
* Tight end Dwayne Allen caught a 32-yard scoring pass in the third period tonight, the third game in a row he has caught a touchdown pass and he now has one in four of the five games this year. He had just four in his career entering this season.
* Andre Ellington scored his fourth touchdown of the season this evening and now has 20 for his career in just 28 games.
March 14, 2019