Jan. 14, 2010
Recap | Box Score | Quotes | Photo Gallery 1 | Photo Gallery 2
* Clemson’s 19-point victory margin was the second largest in school history against the Tar Heels. The only greater is a 93-73 victory at Clemson in 1976-77, Tree Rollins’ senior season.
* Clemson’s 18-point lead at intermission (50-32) was the largest Clemson has had at intermission against North Carolina. The previous best was a 50-38 lead against North Carolina in 1986-87, Horace Grant’s senior year.
* Tonight’s 50 points scored in the first half by the Tigers were the most for a Clemson team against North Carolina since the 50 points scored in the first half of that 1986-87 game. North Carolina game back to win that game 108-99 as the Tar Heels scored 70 in the second half, the most points scored in history against a Clemson team in one half. The most points Clemson has scored in a half against the Tar Heels is 53 in the second half of the 1976-77 game.
* Demontez Stitt scored 20 points tonight, the second highest total of his career and just one off his career high of 21 at Wake Forest last year. It was just the second 20-point scoring game of his career.
* Trevor Booker had 21 points on 8-12 shooting from the field to lead the Tigers. Booker had averaged just 9.4 points and shot 48 percent from the field in his career against North Carolina prior to this evening. He made 5-7 free throws in tonight¹s game, including his last four. He had been 1-8 from the line in his career against North Carolina.
* Tonight’s victory was just the second for Clemson against North Carolina in a battle of top 25 teams. Clemson was 1-14 against North Carolina in history when both teams were ranked in the top 25 entering the game. Clemson had lost 12 in a row in that situation prior to tonight’s game. The only other win by the Tigers against North Carolina in a battle of top 25 teams came in the aforementioned 1976-77 game when the Tigers won 93-73.
* Clemson had lost 10 straight to North Carolina entering tonight’s game with the last win coming in the 2003-04 season, Oliver Purnell’s first year. Clemson beat a 12th ranked North Carolina team in that game and beat a 12th ranked North Carolina team tonight.
* This is now just the second season in history that Clemson has had a season series advantage against North Carolina. The two teams play just once in the regular season this year. The only other year Clemson had the series advantage was in 1963-64 when Clemson won at Clemson 66-64 in overtime and 97-90 in double overtime in Charlotte. Clemson did not play North Carolina in Chapel Hill that year.
* Clemson had two 20-point scorers in the same game tonight as Booker had 21 and Stitt 20. It was the first time this year Clemson had a pair of 20-point scorers in the same game. It was the third 20-point game of the year for Booker.
* Clemson won tonight’s game despite missing each of its last 15 three-point attempts. However, Clemson did make each of its last 17 free throws. The Clemson record for consecutive made free throws in one game is 24 in a row against Mercer in 1993-94.
* Clemson made 18-20 free throws tonight for a 90 percent rate. It was the best free throw shooting performance for a Clemson team (min 15 attempts) in the 21st century. Tonight’s performance was the best by a Clemson team since November 21, 1999 when Clemson was 19-21 against Wofford. It is the best by a Clemson team against an ACC team since January 7, 1997 when the Tigers shot a record 22-23 against Duke, a .957 figure.
* Clemson never trailed in tonight’s game, believed to be the first time Clemson has gone an entire game against North Carolina without trailing.
March 20, 2021
March 18, 2021
March 16, 2021