Oct. 24, 2009
Recap | Final Stats | Photo Gallery 1 | Photo Gallery 2
* Clemson defeated an eighth ranked Miami (FL) team on the road today. It ties for the highest ranked team Clemson has beaten on the road in its history. Clemson defeated an 8th ranked North Carolina in Chapel Hill in 1981 by a 10-8 score.
* Kyle Parker became just the second Clemson freshman quarterback in history to defeat a top 25 team on the road. The only other time it had happened was in 1994 when freshman Nealon Greene quarterbacked Clemson to a 28-17 win over a 12th ranked North Carolina team. The only other time a Clemson freshman quarterback beat a top 25 team anywhere was in 1992 when Patrick Sapp led Clemson to a win over 18th ranked North Carolina. Like Parker, Sapp is a native of Jacksonville, FL. Sapp was at today’s game as Clemson’s sideline broadcaster.
* Today’s 40-37 overtime victory broke Clemson’s eight-game losing streak in games decided by five points or less.
* This marked the third straight overtime game between Clemson and Miami (FL). The Tigers won in 2004 at the Orange Bowl, 24-17 and Miami won at Clemson 36-30 in triple overtime in 2005. This broke a four-game losing streak in overtime games for the Tigers. The last time Clemson won in overtime was that win over Miami in 2004.
* This was Clemson’s first win over a ranked team since a 27-20 win at ninth ranked Florida State in 2006.
* Justin Miller against Florida State in 2004. All 282 were kickoff return yards for Miller. Spiller ended the day with 125 on kickoff returns and 104 on pass receptions. It was his third 100-yard receiving day as a Tiger. A Clemson running back has had 100 yard receiving game just four times in school history and Spiller has three of them.
* Spiller became the first Clemson player to record at least 100 yards on kickoff returns and receptions in the same game since 2003 when Derrick Hamilton had 102 receiving and 100 on kickoff returns against North Carolina.
* Spiller returned a kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown in the second period. That was his third kickoff return for a touchdown this season and the sixth of his Clemson career. He already had the ACC record for kickoff returns for touchdowns in a career. Combined with a punt return for a touchdown earlier this year, Spiller now has seven total kick returns for touchdowns in his career, six kickoff and one punt. He became the ACC’s career leader in kick returns for touchdowns with today’s return. The previous record was six by Spiller and Steve Suiter of Maryland.
* The 90-yard kickoff return for a score was his sixth touchdown of at least 50 yards this year and the 18th of his career. It was his 5th of at least 90 yards and his 10th of at least 80 yards. All are Clemson records. Spiller has at least one play of at least 60 yards in all seven games this year, six have gone for touchdowns.
* In the third period, Spiller caught a 56-yard scoring pass from Kyle Parker for his 19th career touchdown of at least 50 yards. This is the second game in Spiller’s career that he had two touchdowns of 50 yards or more. He did it his freshman year against Georgia Tech when he had a 50-yard run and a 50-yard reception for a score.
* DeAndre McDaniel had two interceptions today and now has seven for the season in seven games. He entered the game tied for first in the nation in interceptions. He now has 11 for his career, most among active Clemson players. His seven career interceptions this year are tied for third most in Clemson history for a single season. His interception return for a score was the first of his career and the first by a Clemson player since Chris Clemons went 32 yards for a score last year against South Carolina State.
* Michael Palmer had five receptions for 74 yards and a touchdown today. He now has 21 catches for the year, the most by a Clemson tight end in 25 years. K.D. Dunn had 22 in 1984.
* When Mark Buchholz booted a 35-yard field goal on the last play of the game to beat South Carolina.
October 27, 2021
October 25, 2021
October 23, 2021
October 21, 2021