March 3, 2008
Recap | Box Score | AP Photos | Photo Gallery
* Clemson overcame a 59-39 deficit with 11:21 remaining to gain a 73-70 victory tonight. That tied for the largest deficit overcome to gain victory at any point in a game in Clemson history. Clemson overcame a 20-point deficit against The Citadel (26-6) in December of the 1978-79 season.
* Clemson trailed by 20 points in the second half this evening and that was the largest second half deficit overcome to gain victory in school history. The previous record was 16 against LaSalle in the second half of Clemson’s NCAA Tournament victory in Hartford in 1990.
* Tonight’s game marked the first time Clemson has ever overcome a halftime deficit in a game at Maryland.
* Clemson warmed up in orange uniforms, then changed to purple the last time they went into the locker room prior to the game. The team was surprised by the uniform change.
* With this basketball victory tonight, Clemson has beaten Maryland in football and basketball at Maryland in the same academic year for the first time in school history.
* It was the largest deficit overcome to gain victory at any point in an ACC game. The previous record for an ACC game was against Duke in 1995-96 when Clemson overcame a 15-point deficit to win 51-48.
* Clemson trailed at the half this evening, 37-25. This marked the largest halftime deficit overcome to gain victory in any Clemson game since December 28, 2000 when Clemson overcame a 41-28 deficit at Coastal Carolina to gain victory. It was the largest halftime deficit overcome to gain victory in an ACC game since the 1976-77 season when Clemson came back from a 30-18 deficit against NC State to gain a 60-59 win. The largest halftime deficit overcome to gain victory in an ACC game is 13 points. Clemson trailed Wake Forest 56-43 in 1969-70 before winning 105-95.
* Tonight was the largest halftime deficit overcome to gain victory in an ACC road game in school history. The previous record was eight points. Clemson trailed at Virginia 27-19 at the half before winning 62-52 on December 7, 1996.
* James Mays made 9-14 shots from the field, scored 20 points, had nine rebounds and four steals this evening in his finest all-around performance of the year. It marked the second game he has played with a reduced brace on his left hand, which was broken on January 6 against North Carolina. Mays is now 13-20 from the field since he took the brace off. Mays scored nine points in the last 4:48 of this evening’s game. Mays played without any brace in the second half this evening.
* Clemson outscored Maryland 18-2 over the last 4:48 to win the game. Clemson trailed 68-55 at that point, before winning 73-70.
* Terrence Oglesby hit a three-point shot with 2.3 seconds left to give Clemson the victory. It marked the fourth time in the last two years that Clemson has made a game winning shot inside the last 10 seconds. Oglesby now has 70 three-point goals, five off the Clemson freshman record of 75 by Tony Stockman in 2000-01. Oglesby made his last three three-point goals of the game.
* Oglesby’s shot brought back memories of the 1986-87 season. Clemson won at Maryland that year 80-79 on a three-point shot by Michael Brown with just eight seconds left. Brown’s game winner was from nearly the same spot on the court. Clemson Head Coach Oliver Purnell was an assistant coach at Maryland for that game 21 years ago, which was played at Cole Fieldhouse.
* Clemson won this game on Maryland’s Senior Night. It marked the third straight year Clemson had won on an opponent’s Senior Night. Clemson ruined Virginia Tech’s Senior Night each of the last two years. Clemson plays at Georgia Tech on Thursday night and it will be the Yellow Jackets Senior Night.
* Clemson won its ninth ACC game of the year this evening. That is the most ACC wins for the Tigers program since they won nine in 1996-97. A win at Georgia Tech would tie the school record for ACC wins in a season. The 1986-87 and 1989-90 Clemson teams were 10-4 in the ACC. The overall Clemson record for conference wins in a season is 11 by the 1951-52 team that had an 11-4 Southern Conference record.
* Tonight marked the 10th ACC road win for the current Clemson seniors. That is a school record for ACC road wins in a four-year period. Clemson has won three ACC road games this year. The Tigers have a chance for a break even ACC road record with a win at Georgia Tech on Thursday.
* The 18 points scored by James Mays were his season high and most since he scored 22 at Maryland last year. Tonight marked the first tim James Mays led Clemson in scoring in an ACC game this year.
* Booker and Mays combined for 38 points this evening. It was their high combined total in a game since they combined for 45 against Florida State on Jan. 12.
* Oliver Purnell now has 5-4 record as Clemson coach against Maryland. The Tigers had lost 11 straight games to the Terps before he arrived in Tigertown.
January 12, 2019
January 11, 2019
January 10, 2019
January 9, 2019