March 7, 2004
CLEMSON, SC – The 12th-ranked Clemson women’s tennis defeated #29 Wake Forest by a score of 6-1 on Sunday afternoon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center in Clemson. With the win, the Tigers improve to 8-2 overall and 2-0 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, while the Demon Deacons fall to 7-4 (0-2 ACC).
The Tigers won two of three doubles matches to win the team doubles point. Clemson’s 30th-ranked team of Daniela Alvarez and Alix Lacelarie won an 8-5 decision over 47th-ranked Karin Coetzee and Katie Martzolf of Wake Forest at flight one doubles. At the number two doubles position, Clemson’s team of Maria Brito and Julie Coin, currently ranked sixth by the ITA, defeated the Demon Deacons’ Sandie Knight and Aimee Smith by a score of 8-1. The Tigers’ Richele LeSaldo and Karen Rombouts fell to Wake Forest’s Ashlee Davis and Danielle Schwartz by a score of 8-2 at flight three doubles.
In singles play, eighth-ranked Coin of Clemson defeated 10th-ranked Coetzee by a score of 6-3, 6-1 at flight one. The Tigers’ Alvarez, ranked 51st by the ITA, won a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Davis at the number two singles position. Clemson’s Brito was victorious over Martzolf at flight three (6-2, 2-6, 6-3), while Lacelarie won a 6-3, 6-3 decision over Smith at four singles. Rombouts downed her Wake Forest opponent, Elizabeth Proctor, by a score of 6-3, 6-2 at flight five singles, while LeSaldo dropped a 6-2, 6-1 decision to Schwartz at the number six singles slot.
The Tigers will play host to South Florida on Friday, March 12 at 9:00 a.m. at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center in Clemson. Later that day, the team will travel to Greenville to take on Furman in a 4:00 p.m. match on the Paladins’ campus.
#12 Clemson 6, #29 Wake Forest 1
1. #8 Julie Coin (CU) def. #10 Karin Coetzee (WFU) 6-3, 6-1
2. #51 Daniela Alvarez (CU) def. Ashlee Davis (WFU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Maria Brito (CU) def. Katie Martzolf (WFU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
4. Alix Lacelarie (CU) def. Aimee Smith (WFU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Karen Rombouts (CU) def. Elizabeth Proctor (WFU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Danielle Schwartz (WFU) def. Richele LeSaldo (CU) 6-2, 6-1
1. #30 Alvarez/Alix Lacelarie (CU) def. #47 Coetzee/Martzolf (WFU) 8-5
2. #6 Brito/Coin (CU) def. Sandie Knight/Smith (WFU) 8-1
3. Davis/Schwartz (WFU) def. LeSaldo/Rombouts (CU) 8-2
November 9, 2020
November 3, 2020
August 23, 2020
August 14, 2020