2018-19 Basketball News
• The Clemson Tigers will embark on year 10 of the Brad Brownell era with an ACC foe in the season opener for the first time in Clemson history. Tipoff from Littlejohn Coliseum in Clemson, S.C. is slated for 7:01 p.m. ET.
• The contest will be televised on ESPNU with Roy Philpott and Paul Biancardi calling the action courtside, while Don Munson and Tim Bourret will call the action on the radio waves. The radio call will be available on the Clemson Tigers Network and Tunein.com.
• Live stats will be provided on ClemsonTigers.com and Twitter updates will be available on Clemson’s official account (@ClemsonMBB).
• Clemson opens up the regular season with ACC foe Virginia Tech to debut the league’s 20-game schedule on Tuesday, Nov. 5 at 7 p.m. on ESPNU.
• Clemson received a major boost in its lineup last week with the NCAA granting Khavon Moore’s transfer request waiver, allowing Moore to become immediately eligible for the 2019-20 season. Moore is a transfer from Texas Tech and played just two minutes last season.
• The Tigers are coming off a summer in which they represented the United States in the 2019 World University Games – claiming a Gold Medal, the USA’s first since 2015 and just its second since 2005.
• Clemson earned three wins in pool play against Finland (69-65), Ukraine (58-57) and China (99-70) before topping Germany (76-74) in the quarters, Israel (75-73) in the semis and a blowout of Ukraine in the Gold Medal game (85-63).The United States were led by Aamir Simms and John Newman III en route to a perfect 6-0 record in the tournament.
• Simms averaged 15.2 points and 9.8 rebounds per contest over six games, while Newman scored 13.3 points per game and also grabbed 5.7 rebounds per game.
• Simms’ biggest game of the tournament came against Israel in the semifinal game. Simms scored 27 points (11-for-23 FG, 10-15 2FG) and grabbed 16 rebounds (seven on the offensive glass).
• The Tigers earned a victory in their last meeting with the Hokies, a 59-51 win over a then-ranked No. 11 Virginia Tech team inside Littlejohn Coliseum on Feb. 9, 2019.
• Clemson returns just 27.3 percent of its scoring from last season, but made key additions to its roster from the transfer portal: Tevin Mack (Alabama), Khavon Moore (Texas Tech), Nick Honor (Fordham), Curran Scott (Tulsa).
CLICK HERE FOR LATEST EPISODES
2019-20 CLEMSON BASKETBALL PROSPECTUS