Feb. 15, 2004
CLEMSON, SC – The 13th-ranked Clemson women’s tennis team won a 7-0 decision over #14 Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday afternoon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center in Clemson. The Tigers improve to 4-0 on the season with the win, while the Rams fall to 6-2 overall.
In doubles action, Clemson’s 12th-ranked team of Maria Brito and Julie Coin fell to Virginia Commonwealth’s Olga Borisova and Silvia Urickova by a score of 8-4 at flight one. At number two doubles, the Tigers’ team of Richele LeSaldo and Karen Rombouts, currently ranked in a tie for 49th by the ITA in doubles, won an 8-1 decision over Cristina Arribas and Cristina Gago of VCU. Clemson won the flight three doubles match by default to claim the doubles point.
In singles play, ninth-ranked Coin defeated Borisova by a score of 6-2, 6-4 at flight one. The Tigers’ Daniela Alvarez won a 0-6, 6-4(10-5) decision over Urickova at number two singles. Rombouts defeated her VCU opponent, Cristina Gago, 6-1, 6-2 at flight three, while Brito won a 6-3, 6-0 decision over Arribas at flight four. At number five singles, LeSaldo was victorious over the Rams’ Camille Ripert by a score of 8-4. The Tigers won the number six singles match by default.
Clemson will travel to Nashville, TN on Friday, Feb. 20 to face sixth-ranked Vanderbilt. The match between the Tigers and the Commodores will be held at the Brownlee O. Currey Junior Tennis Complex and is scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m.
#13 Clemson 7, #14 Virginia Commonwealth 0
1. #9 Julie Coin (CU) def. Olga Borisova (VCU) 6-2, 6-4
2. #40 Daniela Alvarez (CU) def. Silvia Urickova (VCU) 0-6, 6-4(10-5)
3. Karen Rombouts (CU) def. Cristina Gago (VCU) 6-1, 6-2
4. #78 Maria Brito (CU) def. Cristina Arribas (VCU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Richele LeSaldo (CU) def. Camille Ripert (VCU) 8-4
6. CU won by default
1. Borisova/Urickova (VCU) def. #12 Brito/Coin (CU) 8-4
2. T-#49 LeSaldo/Rombouts (CU) def. Arribas/Gago (VCU) 8-1
3. CU won by default
September 19, 2021
September 18, 2021
September 14, 2021