Dec. 1, 2003
Tipoff: 7:30 PM (Eastern) Site: Mackey Arena, West Lafayette, IN Capacity: (14,123) TV: ESPN-2 (Mark Jones, Brad Daugherty) Radio: Clemson Tiger Sports Properties (Pete Yanity, Tim Bourret)
SERIES NOTES Overall: Clemson leads 2-0 At Clemson: Clemson leads 1-0 at Purdue: Clemson leads 1-0 at Mackey Arena: Clemson leads 1-0 Last Meeting: Clemson won 81-80 at Purdue in 1973-74 Series Note: Both previous meetings have gone to overtime.
Game Notes in PDF FormatDownload Free Acrobat Reader
Clemson has won both of the previous meetings with Purdue. Both wins were gained in overtime. Clemson won at Littlejohn Coliseum during the 1971- 72 season, 72-66, and won at Mackey Arena in 1973-74 by an 81-80 score. Tim Capehart made two free throws with seven seconds left to give Clemson the one point win in the last meeting.
* Clemson has a 3-1 record in ACC-Big Ten Challenge games. Clemson is 2-0 at home and 1-1 on the road for the 3-1 total. Clemson has played Penn State three of the four previous ACC vs. Big Ten games with the other contest a home victory over Northwestern. Last year Clemson defeated Penn State 79-70.
* While Clemson has won three of its four games in the ACC vs. Big Ten Challenge, the Tigers are just 7-11 all-time vs. the Big Ten. That includes a 2-4 record on a Big Ten opponent’s home court. One of the two victories, was at Purdue, in 1973-74.
*Clemson head coach Oliver Purnell has a 1-1 record against Purdue and head coach Gene Keady. Purdue defeated Purnell’s Dayton team 62-61 in the 2000 NCAA Tournament in a game played at the University of Arizona. But, Purnell and his Flyers came back to defeat Purdue two seasons later in an 83-72 Dayton win at Conseco Fieldhouse on December 15, 2001.
* Clemson won its last contest played in the state of Indiana. Clemson opened the 1996-97 season with a 79-71 overtime victory over Kentucky in a game played at the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis. Kentucky was the defending national champion and ranked third in the nation entering the game. It is the highest ranked win in Clemson history against a non-conference opponent.
* Clemson senior forward Chris Hobbs is a 6-7, 260-pound power forward. Many feel he has the build to play well in a Big Ten style of game. That theory has been supported in his three games against Big Ten teams since he has been at Clemson. He has averaged 13.0 points and 9.3 rebounds to go with 14-24 field goal shooting in his previous three ACC vs. Big Ten Challenge games.
* Sharrod Ford had a career high 25 points and 12 rebounds in Clemson’s win over Wofford. He had a career high five dunks.
* Clemson has had five double figure scorers in each of the first three games this season. Clemson had 5 double figure scorers just twice all of last year.
* Clemson first-year head coaches are 5-15 in their first road game as Clemson head coach. However, three of the last four Clemson coach, Bill Foster, Rick Barnes and Larry Shyatt, have won their first road game as Clemson coach.
August 25, 2021
August 20, 2021
August 19, 2021
August 11, 2021