Clemson Defeats Gonzaga 2-0 In Second Game of Clemson Invitational

Clemson Defeats Gonzaga 2-0 In Second Game of Clemson Invitational

Sept. 27, 2002

CLEMSON, SC – Kenneth Cutler and Dimelon Westfield both scored goals as Clemson defeated Gonzaga 2-0 in the second game of the Clemson Men’s Soccer Invitational at Clemson, SC Friday evening.

Cutler scored his fourth goal of the season at the 2:02 mark. Cutler was assisted by Fabio Tambosi.

Westfield put the Tigers ahead 2-0 with his seventh goal of the season midway in the first half. Ricky Lewis was credited the assist.

With the win, Clemson improves 5-1-1 overall, while Gonzaga falls to 2-6 this season. The Tigers are ranked 10th by Soccer America and 11th in the NSCAA poll.

On Sunday, Furman will play Gonzaga at 12:30 p.m. and Clemson will play Fairfield at 3:00 p.m. in the second and final day of the Clemson Men’s Soccer Invitational

“I am happy with the win,” said Clemson Head Coach Trevor Adair. “It was difficult to score with so many people in the back. Gonzaga is a good team with a lot of talent. Their record does not reflect how good they really are. Our defense and midfield played superb and Kenny Cutler keeps playing well. Dimelon also had another great game. I thought we did a great job hounding them early and keeping them from getting in any rhythm.”

Clemson – Kenneth Cutler (Fabio Tambosi) 2:02Clemson – Dimelon Westfield (Eric Lewis) 24:35

Shots: Clemson 19, Gonzaga 7 Corner Kicks: Clemson 7, Gonzaga 2 Saves: Doug Warren (CU) 2, Mike McCarthy (G) 10 Fouls: Clemson 11, Gonzaga 7 Attendance: 1,290

Furman Defeats Fairfield 4-3 In Men’s Soccer At Clemson Invitational

CLEMSON, SC – Ricardo Clark scored with four minutes remaining in leading Furman to a 4-3 win over Fairfield in the first game of the Clemson Men’s Soccer Invitational at Clemson, SC Friday evening.

Furman improves its record to 5-1-1 overall, while Fairfield falls to 1-3-1 this season. Furman is ranked 13th by Soccer America and 24th in the NSCAA poll. The Paladins’ Chefik Simo finished the match with one goal and one assist.

The Paladins took a 1-0 lead in the first half as Anthony Esquivel scored his fourth goal of the season. Fairfield tied the score early in the second half as Justin Thompson scored at the 53:52 mark with assists by Brian Staley and David Thomas.

Furman scored at the 72:57 mark as Simo scored on a Clint Dempsey assist. Fairfield’s Manelick De la Parra scored at the 74:19 mark to tie the score 2-2.

At this point, two Fairfield Players received red cards and were ejected from the match. Justin Thompson received a red card at the 75:17 mark, and Danny Attwell received an ejection at the 75:28 point. The Stags were forced to play with only nine players. Furman immediately took a 3-2 lead as McNeil Cronin scored his second goal of the season with an assist by Simo at the 75:57 mark.

However with two players short, De la Parra scored once again for Fairfield with 5:42 left to go in regulation to tie the score at 3-3. Clark then scored the winning goal for Furman with an assist by Anthony Esquivel with 4:00 left to go in the game.

Furman-Anthony Esquivel (Unassisted) 27:39 Fairfield-Justin Thompson (Brian Staley, David Thoas) 53:32 Furman-Chefik Simo (Clint Dempsey) 72:57 Fairfield-Manelick De la Parra (Spencer Collum, Justin Thompson) 74:19 Furman-McNeil Cronin (Chefik Simo) 75:57 Fairfield-Manelick De la Parra (Richard Morton, Spencer Collum) 84:18 Furman-Ricardo Clark (Anthony Esquivel) 86:00

Shots: Furman 18, Fairfield 5 Corner Kicks: Furman 8, Fairfield 3 Saves: John Hanley (Furman) 1, Andrew Frankel (Fairfield) 5 Fouls: Furman 14, Farifield 21 Attendance: 500