April 4, 2004
TALLAHASSEE, FL – The 21st-ranked Clemson women’s tennis team won a 4-3 decision over #30 Florida State on Sunday afternoon in Tallahassee, FL. The Tigers improve to 17-3 overall and 6-0 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, while the Seminoles fall to 15-6 overall (5-2 ACC).
The Tigers swept the doubles matches to earn the team doubles point. Clemson’s team of Daniela Alvarez and Maria Brito defeated Lindsay Deason and Anca Dumitrescu of Florida State by a score of 8-2 at flight two to open the match. The Tigers’ Richele LeSaldo and Karen Rombouts then took an 8-5 victory over Brooke Cordell and Christina Denny at the number three doubles position. The Tigers’ number one doubles team of Julie Coin and Alix Lacelarie won a 9-8(5) decision over the Seminoles’ Lindsay Clarke and Mihaela Moldovan to complete the Clemson doubles sweep.
In singles action, ninth-ranked Coin defeated Dumitrescu by a score of 6-1, 6-3 at flight one, while 63rd-ranked Alvarez fell to #80 Moldovan by a score of 6-3, 6-2 at the number two singles position. The Tigers’ Brito dropped a three set (4-6, 7-6(4), 6-4) match to Roxanne Clarke at flight four before Lacelarie of Clemson won a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Denny at flight three. The Tigers’ Ioana Paun clinched the victory for Clemson with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Alina Mihailescu at the six singles slot. Rombouts then fell to Deason 6-4, 6-1 at number five singles to end the match.
The Tigers will go on the road next weekend to face North Carolina and Duke in their final two regular season matches. Clemson will play the Tar Heels on Saturday, April 10 in Chapel Hill, before traveling to Durham to face the Blue Devils on Sunday, April 11.
#21 Clemson 4, #30 Florida State 3
1. #9 Julie Coin (CU) def. Anca Dumitrescu (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. #80 Mihaela Moldovan (FSU) def. #63 Daniela Alvarez (CU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Alix Lacelarie (CU) def. Christina Denny (FSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Roxanne Clarke (FSU) def. Maria Brito (CU) 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-4
5. Lindsay Deason (FSU) def. Karen Rombouts (CU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Ioana Paun (CU) def. Alina Mihailescu (FSU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Coin/Lacelarie (CU) def. Clarke/Moldovan (FSU) 9-8(5)
2. Alvarez/Brito (CU) def. Deason/Dumitrescu (FSU) 8-2
3. Richele LeSaldo/Rombouts (CU) def. Brooke Cordell/Denny (FSU) 8-5
April 30, 2019
April 25, 2019
April 17, 2019
April 16, 2019