Search Shop
#12 Wake Forest Defeats Clemson 2-1

#12 Wake Forest Defeats Clemson 2-1

Sept. 11, 2010

Box Score

WINSTON-SALEM, NC – Wake Forest’s Anthony Arena scored a goal early in the second half to break the 1-1 deadlock in giving the 12th-ranked Demon Deacons a 2-1 victory over Clemson in an Atlantic Coast Conference men’s soccer match at Winston-Salem, NC Friday night. A crowd of 3,362 attended tonight¹s match.

The Demon Deacons improve to 1-1-1 on the year and 1-0-0 in Atlantic Coast Conference play, while the Tigers are now 0-3-0 and 0-1-0 in league play.

With the game tied at one, the Demon Deacons took the lead on a goal by Arena off a corner kick. The corner, taken by Chris Duvall, was flicked on goal by Sam Redmond. Arena was able to get a touch on the ball and send it just over the leaping Clemson goalkeeper, Cody Mizell and into the net to put the Deacs on top 2-1.

Clemson had a great chance to equalize in the 86th minute, but a diving save from Akira Fitzgerald kept Wake Forest in front. Clemson’s Austin Savage ripped a shot from 16 yards out on the left side of the 18 that appeared headed for the upper right corner of the goal. Fitzgerald dove to his left and made a fingertip save, pushing the ball over the goal and past the endline for a Clemson corner.

Andy Lubahn and Arena were the goal scorers for Wake Forest in the contest. Clemson’s Riley Sumpter scored the first goal of the season for the Tigers. Tommy Drake had the assist on the goal by Sumpter.

Fitzgerald earned the win in goal for Wake Forest, making two saves and allowing a goal in the 90 minutes. Clemson’s Mizell had five saves.

Wake Forest held a 10-7 advantage in shots in the contest, including a 7-3 edge in shots on goal. Clemson had four corner kicks, compared to two for the Demon Deacons.

Clemson had the better of the play in the opening 20 minutes, as the Tigers took the first three shots of the game. Austin Savage had the first shot on frame in the match, an attempt in the 14th minute that was saved by Fitzgerald.

Wake Forest threatened in the 22nd. Kyle Emerson had a great chance in the 25th minute. Redmond played a short pass to Emerson inside the penalty area. Emerson’s first shot was saved by the sliding Clemson goalkeeper. Emerson had another chance on the rebound, again from close range, but this attempt was blocked by a Tiger defender.

Wake Forest broke through with a goal in the 34th minute from Lubahn. Watts played a pass to Lubahn in the center of the field. From 23 yards out, Lubahn sent a shot into the upper right corner of the goal to put the Deacs in front 1-0, a lead they would carry into halftime.

Clemson scored at the 56:14 mark. Drake played a cross from the right side of the field that was collected by Sumpter on the left side of the 18-yard box. Sumpter curled a shot into the right side of the net to tie the game at one.

The Tigers will play at Virginia Tech on Friday, September 17, in Blacksburg, VA in Clemson’s next action.

Scoring Summary WF – Andy Lubahn (Jared Watts) 33:45 CU – Riley Sumpter (Tommy Drake) 56:14 WF – Anthony Arena (Sam Redmond, Chris Duvall) 57:43

Shots: Clemson 7, Wake Forest 10 Corner Kicks: Clemson 4, Wake Forest 2 Saves: Cody Mizell (CU) 5, Akira Fitzgerald (WF) 2 Fouls: Clemson 11, Wake Forest 12 Attendance: 3,362