Clemson Head Coach Dabo Swinney will attempt to pass College Football Hall of Famer Frank Howard for sole possession of Clemson’s all-time head coaching wins record on Saturday, Oct. 21, when his Tigers face the Miami Hurricanes in prime time. Kickoff at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla., is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET.
Prior to Clemson’s open date last week, Swinney tied Howard atop Clemson’s all-time leaderboard with a 17-12 win against Wake Forest on Oct. 7. Both the opponent and the opponent’s point total drew historical parallels. Wake Forest last defeated Clemson in 2008, a loss that led to Swinney’s ascension to head coach the following week. Wake Forest also scored 12 points in that contest, though in 2008 those 12 points resulted in a 12-7 Wake Forest win rather than the 17-12 defeat Wake Forest suffered this season that evened Swinney with Howard in the wins column.
Presented by Upcountry Fiber
Three hours leading up til kickoff
– Head Coach Dabo Swinney attempting to earn his 166th career win to pass College Football Hall of Famer Frank Howard (165 from 1940-69) for sole possession of the Clemson record for career head coaching wins.
– Swinney attempting to match the career win total of College Football Hall of Famer Red Blaik, who won 166 games at Dartmouth and Army from 1934-58. Swinney’s .801 win percentage is already ahead of Blaik’s .759. – Clemson and Miami (Fla.), which met in a 40-10 Tiger win last November, meeting in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2004-05.
– Clemson, which took the all-time series lead against Miami for the first time last year, attempting to move its series record against the Hurricanes to 8-6.
– Clemson attempting to win a fifth straight game against Miami for the first time in school history. Clemson’s four straight wins in the series include two wins in Clemson in 2020 and 2022, a win in the 2017 ACC Championship Game in Charlotte, and a 58-0 win in the Tigers’ most recent road game at Miami in 2015.
– Clemson attempting to improve to 44-20 in games following regular season open dates in the ACC era (since 1953). Clemson has won 14 of its last 16 regular season games following open weeks.
– Clemson attempting to improve to 21-11 in games at NFL stadiums under Dabo Swinney. A win would improve Clemson to 18-7 at NFL stadiums since 2015.
– Clemson attempting to add to its 35 road wins since 2015, the most road wins by any program in the nation in that span.
Buy Clemson vs. Miami Tickets
2023 Clemson Football Roster