March 19, 2005
LOS ANGLES, CA–Clemson won four of the six singles matches as the Tigers upset ninth ranked Southern California 4-3 in a men’s intercollegiate tennis match played at Los Angeles, CA Saturday evening.
Clemson won its 20th match of the season with the victory, and the Tigers are now 20-2 on the year. Southern California, ranked ninth according to the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) poll, falls to 7-7 this season. Clemson has won 15 straight matches this year. This is the 18th time that the Tigers have won 20 or more matches in a season under Head Coach Chuck Kriese. Kriese is in his 30th season as Head Coach of the Tigers.
Nathan Thompson defeated 24th-ranked Jamil Al-Agba at number one singles 7-5, 6-0. Thompson has now won 20 matches this season. Thompson is ranked 52nd nationally in singles. At number-two singles, Clemson’s Sander Koning defeated Johan Berg 7-6, 7-6. Clement Reix won at number-three singles for the Tigers as he defeated #54-ranked Drew Hoskins 6-2, 6-3.
Ryan Young clinched the match for the Tigers as he was victorious at number four singles with a 6-2, 6-3 win over the Trojans’ Kaes Van’t Hof.
The last time Clemson defeated Southern California was in 1989 when the Tigers defeated the Trojans 5-3.
Clemson will play Texas Tech at Fresno, CA on March 21, in the Tigers’ next action. Clemson will also play Fresno State at Fresno, CA on March 23.
1. Nathan Thompson (CU) d. Jamil Al-Agba (SC) 7-5, 6-0
2. Sander Koning (CU) d. Johan Berg (SC) 7-6, 7-6
3. Clement Reix (CU) d. Drew Hoskins (SC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Ryan Young (CU) d. Kaes van’t Hof (SC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Brian Wright (SC) d. Brett Twente (CU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Adam Loucks (SC) d. Michael Gee (CU) 6-3, 6-3
Doubles (Counts as One Team Point)
1. Al-Agba/Berg (SC) d. Young-Thompson (CU) 8-6
2. Hoskins-Loucks (SC) d. Koning-Reix (CU) 9-8
3. Cooper-Vanthof (SC) d. Cook-Twente (CU) 8-3
September 15, 2021
September 9, 2021
September 6, 2021
July 15, 2021