March 23, 2008
Clemson, SC – The number-one ranked Virginia Cavaliers downed the Tigers in men’s tennis on Sunday afternoon, 6-1 in Clemson, SC. The Cavaliers improve to 19-0 overall, and 5-0 in ACC play, while the Tigers drop to 12-12 and 1-4 in the conference.
The Cavaliers took the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead as Virginia’s Somdev Devvarman and Treat Huey downed Ike Belk and Derek DiFazio, 8-0 to give the Cavs an edge. Virginia clinched the point as Michael Shabaz and Sanam Singh defeated Gera Boryachinskiy and Kevin Gallaway, 8-3. The Tiger doubles group of Carlos Alvarez and Kevin Fleck defeated Virginia’s Dominic Ingot and Houston Barrick 9-8 (7-3)
Gera Boryachinskiy downed #5-ranked Dominic Inglot 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 to win the first point from the Cavaliers in five matches, who had a four-match shutout streak coming into the day. The match was the last to finish and was one of only two singles matches to go to three sets.
Somdev Devvarman, the nation’s top-ranked player downed Ike Belk (6-2, 6-1) to clinch the match for Virginia.
Virginia’s Houston Barrick defeated Clemson’s Derek DiFazio 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 at the #5 slot in another three-set match on the afternoon. Lee Singer took down Kevin Gallaway at number-six 6-2, 6-1.
The Tigers will return to action on March 28, taking on Longwood and ACC foe Wake Forest in Winston Salem, NC. The Tigers will then travel to Raleigh on March 30 to take on N.C. State.
Singles 1. Somdev Devvarman (UVA) d. Carlos Alvarez (CU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Gera Boryachinskiy (CU) d. Dominic Inglot (UVA) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Treat Huey (UVA) d. Kevin Fleck (CU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Sanam Singh (UVA) d. Ike Belk (CU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Houston Barrick (UVA) d. Derek DiFazio (CU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
6. Lee Singer (UVA) d. Kevin Gallaway (CU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Devvarman/Huey (UVA) d. Belk/ DiFazio (CU) 8-0
2. Alvarez/ Fleck (CU) d. Inglot/Barrick (UVA) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Shabaz/ Singh (UVA) d. Gallaway/ Boryachinskiy (CU) 8-3
October 4, 2018
October 3, 2018
September 12, 2018
August 26, 2018