Nov. 17, 2007
Complete Clemson Men’s Basketball Notes
Series NotesOverall: Tied at 1-1at Norfolk: Clemson leads 1-0at Clemson: Old Dominion leads 1-0at Littlejohn: Old Dominion leads 1-0at Neutral: None playedFirst Meeting: ODU, 61-59 in 1978-79Last Meeting: Clemson, 74-70 in 2006-07
Quick Facts: * Clemson Head Coach Oliver Purnell led Old Dominion to the Division II national championship in 1974-75 and was inducted into the Monarchs’ Hall of Fame in 1988. He served as head coach at his alma mater from 1991-94, leading the Monarchs to an NCAA Tournament and two NIT appearances.
* Assistant Head Coach Frank Smith was an honorable mention All-American at Old Dominion, and is still the school’s all-time leader in assists and steals. Both he and Purnell were named to ODU’s all-time team in 2006.
* The Tigers defeated the Monarchs last season, 74-70, in Norfolk in the championship game of the four-team Cox Communications Classic. James Mays was MVP of the tournament, while Cliff Hammonds earned All-Tournament honors.
* In last year’s meeting, five Tigers scored in double figures, led by Vernon Hamilton with 13 points. Clemson held ODU to 37 percent shooting and shot 41 percent from three-point range. Hammonds hit 3-for-4 from deep in that game.
* Clemson was #1 in the Jeff Sagarin computer rating on Friday, November 16. It marks the second straight year the Tigers have achieved a #1 rating in the computer system.
* The Tigers are coming off a tough road win at SEC foe Mississippi State. Clemson hit 11 of its last 12 free throws and won by a final score of 84-82. James Mays posted a double-double in the game.
* Hammonds has picked up right where he left off in terms of assist-to-turnover ratio. The senior from Cairo, GA has 10 assists this season with no turnovers in 63 minutes played.
* Clemson’s three scholarship freshmen combined to make 17 of 20 free throw attempts in the game versus Mississippi State. Demontez Stitt was 8-8, including 6-6 in the final minute. Terrence Oglesby was 6-9, while Jerai sank all three of his attempts.
* Oglesby is averaging 12.5 points per game off the bench through two contests. He tied Rivers for team-high honors with 17 points at Mississippi State. He hit 3-7 three-point attempts in the game, including several kep baskets down the stretch.
* The Tigers have forced 56 turnovers through two games, including 37 versus Furman in the opener.
* Clemson was 18-1 last year against non-conference teams, and is 2-0 this year.
* Clemson has a 20-1 record in the month of November under Oliver Purnell and has won 15 games in a row in the month. Clemson is 83-15 all-time in November.
* The Tigers are 26th in poll points by USA Today and 27th by the Associated Press this week.
November 15, 2018
November 14, 2018
November 13, 2018
November 9, 2018