Jan. 17, 2004
Mt. Pleasant, SC – The 26th ranked Clemson men’s tennis team defeated The Citadel and College of Charleston on Saturday in its first dual match action of the season at Patriot’s Point. Clemson downed The Citadel 6-1 and beat College of Charleston 7-0 to begin the young season with a 2-0 record.
In the Tigers’ first action of the day against The Citadel, Clemson started off the match by taking all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The pair of Nathan Thompson and Jarmaine Jenkins, ranked No. 17 in the nation started off the match by defeating Matt Stubs and John Williams 8-5 at the number one position. The Tigers completed the sweep in doubles action as Damiisa Robinson and Goran Sterijovski downed Derek Jose and Carl Hocker by a score of 8-2 at flight two doubles, while Ryan Young beat David Lara and Warren Woolfolk 8-3 in the third match.
Clemson dominated the singles matches, winning five of the six match-ups. Nathan Thompson fell to Matt Stubbs in a ten-point tiebreaker for The Citadel’s only point of the match. Robinson, Sterijovski, Brett Twente, and Clement Reix each won in straight sets.
In the afternoon match, Clemson swept all three doubles matches and won all six singles contests to defeat defending Southern Conference Champion College of Charleston, with Jenkins, Ash Misquith, and Reix winning in straight sets. Thompson and Jenkins defeated Timo Siebert and Phil Koller 8-6 in the top flight doubles match.
With the two wins, Clemson improves to 2-0 on the season. The Tigers return to action next Sunday as they travel to Irvine, CA to face UC-Irvine, followed by a match against 7th ranked UCLA next Tuesday.
Clemson vs. The Citadel (6-1)
1. Thompson/Jenkins (CU) def. Stubbs/Williams (CIT), 8-5
2. Robinson/Sterijovski (CU) def. Jose/Hocker (CIT), 8-2
3. Boetsch/Young (CU) def. Lara/Woolfolk (CIT), 8-3
1. Stubbs (CIT) def. Thompson (CU), 3-6, 6-4, 10-5 (tiebreaker)
2. Robinson (CU) def. Williams (CIT), 6-2, 6-3
3. Jenkins (CU) def. Woolfolk (CIT), 5-7, 6-0, 10-6 (tiebreaker)
4. Sterijovski (CU) def. Lara (CIT), 6-1, 6-3
5. Twente (CU) def. Haynie (CIT), 6-2, 6-0
6. Reix (CU) def. Jose (CIT), 6-1, 6-0
Clemson vs. College of Charleston (7-0)
1. Jenkins/Thompson (CU) def. Siebert/Koller (CofC), 8-6
2. Young/Sterijovski (CU) def. Kling/Bowman (CofC), 8-1
3. Boetsch/Twente (CU) def. Moldehnke/Dekel (CofC), 9-7
1. Nathan Thompson (CU) def. Or Dekel (CofC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Jarmaine Jenkins (CU) def. ‘sTimo Siebert (CofC) 6-4, 7-5
3. Sterijovski (CU) def. Bastian Moldehnke (CofC) 6-2,3-6,7-5
4. Ash Misquith (CU) def. ‘s Liran Kling, (CofC) 6-1, 7-6
5. Ryan Young (CU) def. Phill Koller (CofC) 6-7, 6-2, 6-2
6. Clement Reix (CU) def. Bill Brehner (CofC) 6-4, 6-4
July 2, 2018
June 30, 2018
June 27, 2018
June 25, 2018