January 8, 1999
CLEMSON, S.C. –Clemson offensive guard Corey Hulsey has informed the school that he has decided to forego his senior year of eligibility and apply for the NFL draft.
Hulsey is the second Clemson underclassman to turn pro since the end of the 1998 season. Outside linebacker Rahim Abdullah, a Butkus Award nominee in 1998, announced in December that he would not return for his senior season.
Hulsey, 6-7 and 335 pounds, started every game at a guard position in 1998 and was a second-team All-ACC selection. He was slated to be Clemson’s only returning All-ACC player in 1999. Hulsey started 11 of the 12 games in 1997 and all 11 games last year. He played 671 snaps in 1998 and 545 in 1997. He was a three-year letterman.
“This was a difficult decision,” said Hulsey, a native of Lula, GA and North Hall High School. “I really enjoyed Clemson, but I think it is best for my future to turn professional.
“I want to thank my coaches, Coach (Tommy) West and Coach (John) Latina, and all the fans who supported us. This decision has nothing to do with the coaching change. Coach (Tommy) Bowden is an excellent coach and Clemson will do well in the future under him. I just thought the time was right for me and my family (to turn professional).”
With Hulsey’s departure it leaves Clemson without a returning starter on the interior of the offensive line, the first time Clemson has gone into a season without a starter in the offensive line since 1943.
“We hate to see Corey Hulsey leave our program, he certainly would have helped us this year,” said Head Coach Tommy Bowden. “Anytime you lose someone who was an all-conference player it is a big loss.
“We obviously won’t have a lot of experience in the offensive line this coming season. This will be a high priority in our recruiting efforts this month and during Spring practice.”
August 17, 2018
August 15, 2018
August 14, 2018
August 12, 2018