Clemson, SC..—Clemson junior Alice Hewson has been named to the Great Britain & Ireland Curtis Cup Team. The eight-player team will compete against the United States June 8-10 at Quaker Ridge Golf Club in Scarsdale, NY. This is Hewson’s second selection to the Curtis Cup and she joins Ashlan Ramsey (2014) as the only Clemson players to compete in the event.
Hewson holds 40 records for the Clemson program in just its fifth year. She is the top player for Clemson this year with a 72.22 stroke average, on pace for a school record. She has five top 10 finishes, including a victory at the Clemson Invitational and a ninth place at the ACC Tournament last weekend. She has a school record seven rounds in the 60s and 12 rounds under par this year.
Hewson and the Clemson women will begin play in the NCAA Regional in Tallahasee, Fla. on May 7.
Joining Hewson as a two-time Curtis Cupper on the team is Olivia Mehaffey of Arizona State and Royal County Down in Ireland. With Hewson in the lineup, GB&I beat the United States, 11.5-8.5, in 2016 at Dun Laoghaire in Ireland, but the Americans lead the all-time series, 28-8-3.
The full GB&I team:
– India Clyburn (21, Woodhall Spa, England)
– Lily May Humphreys (16, Stoke-by-Nayland, England)
– Annabell Fuller (15, Roehampton, England)
– Sophie Lamb (20, Clitheroe, England)
-Paula Grant (24, Lisburn, Ireland)
– Shannon McWilliam (18, Aboyne, Scotland)
– Alice Hewson (20, Berkhamsted, England)
– Olivia Mehaffey (20, Royal County Down Ladies, Ireland)