CLEMSON, S.C. – Head Coach Leslie Hasselbach Adams and the Clemson diving program welcomed two new signees over the weekend to the 2016-17 team after receiving National Letters of Intent from both Hannah Phelan (Walpole, Mass.) and Megan Hays (Noblesville, Ind.). The two are the first additions to sign with the Tigers this year.
Hannah Phelan – Walpole, Mass.
High School: Bishop Feehan High School
Academic Area of Interest: Either Communication Studies or Nursing
USA Diving Club: Boston Area Diving Club
• Started full-time diving career a few years ago with Joe Chirico
• Level 10 gymnast before transitioning to diving; highly decorated
• Mass. High School State Champion on Balance Beam
• Named to the Boston Globe Winter High School All-Scholastic team in gymnastics
• Gave up gymnastics in 2014 to focus her full-time efforts on diving
• Since then, has qualified for AAU Nationals three times and is two-time Mass. High School Division II State Diving Champion and current State meet record holder
• Comes from very athletic family
• Hannah’s father, Gerard Phelan, played football at Boston College and was part of one of the most recognized plays in college football history. In the 1984 Orange Bowl against the then defending champion Miami Hurricanes, Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie fired off a 48-yd “Hail Mary” pass as time expired in a last second effort to win the game. The pass was caught in the endzone for a touchdown, giving Boston College a 47-45 win. The recipient of that pass…Gerard Phelan.
• Mr. Phelan went on to play in the NFL, but his career was cut short due to injury.
• Hannah has an older brother Alex, and an older sister Taylor
Megan Hays – Noblesville, Ind.
High School: Noblesville High School
Academic Area of Interest: Biology, possibly Pre-Med
USA Diving Club: Indian International School of Diving
• Megan has been diving with her club coach, Sean McCarthy, since she was 12 years old
• Adamant about becoming a part of an academic and athletic program that pushes her to be the best she can be and one that is challenging, yet will ultimately refine her as an individual
• Was teammates with current Clemson diver Jaya Brown
• Has played soccer and was involved with ballet for some time, but her passion is water sports. Especially, water skiing, wake boarding, and wake surfing.
• Also enjoys skiing in the winter
• Huge Indianapolis Colts fan
• Three words describing Megan: driven, optimistic and caring
December 12, 2018