Associate Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers
• In his 22 years as a full-time assistant coach, his teams have 22 winning seasons, have been to 25 bowl games and have won 10+ games 18 times.
• Has coached in six national championship games. He helped the Tigers to their second national title in 2016 with a 35-31 win over Alabama.
• His 2017 defense was second in the nation in scoring defense (13.6) and fourth in total defense (276.7).
• Coached linebacker Dorian O’Daniel, a finalist for the Butkus Award, and Kendall Joseph, a Third-Team All-ACC selection, in 2017.
• Recipient of the 2016 Frank Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach. His 2016 group amassed 130 tackles for loss and a school-record 49 sacks. His teams led the NCAA in tackles for loss four seasons in a row from 2013-16.
• Ben Boulware was a First-Team All-ACC performer and second-team Walter Camp All-American in 2016, as well as ACC Co-Defensive Player-of-the-Year as voted by the league coaches.
• Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC in 2015 by Rivals.
• National defensive coordinator-of-the-year by FootballScoop in 2014 and national recruiter-of-the-year by Rivals in 2015.
• One of five finalists for the 2015 Frank Broyles Award after his defense was fourth nationally in third-down conversion percentage (27.7), fourth in sacks per game (3.2) and fifth in tackles for loss per game (8.4). He coached Boulware and Goodson, both Second-Team All-ACC linebackers.
• His 2014 defense led the nation in total defense (260.8), pass efficiency defense (98.3), first downs allowed (185), third-down conversion percentage defense (27.4) and tackles for loss (131), while being in the top five in many other statistical categories. He also coached Anthony, who was a Butkus Award semifinalist and First-Team All-ACC selection.
• His 2013 defense, which was 24th in the nation in scoring defense and 25th in total defense, led the nation in tackles for loss (122). He also coached All-ACC linebackers Spencer Shuey and Anthony.
• Named one of the top-25 recruiters in the nation in 2013 by Rivals and one of the top-50 recruiters in the nation in 2013 by 247Sports.
• His 2012 defense held opponents to just 34.0 percent on third down, 24th-best in the nation.
• Coached 13 years (1999-11) at Oklahoma and three years (1996-98) at Kansas State. He was also a graduate assistant coach at Kansas State for three seasons (1993-95).
• Served as co-defensive coordinator at Oklahoma (1999-03) and defensive coordinator at Oklahoma (2004-11).
• Linebackers under his direction were named Big 12 Defensive Player-of-the-Year five times and Big 12 Defensive Newcomer-of-the-Year five times. He has also coached two Butkus Award winners and three other Butkus Award finalists, including O’Daniel.
• Broyles Award finalist in 2006 when Oklahoma led the Big 12 in total defense and scoring defense.
• Oklahoma was first in the nation in total defense, first in passing defense, second in pass efficiency defense, third in scoring defense and fifth in turnover margin in 2003.
• His 2001 defense was fourth in the nation in scoring defense, fourth in total defense, fifth in pass effiency defense and seventh in rushing defense.
• Owns a national championship ring as co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Oklahoma in 2000.
• As a player at Kansas State, he was Honorable Mention All-Big Eight in 1992 with 124 tackles. He was also an All-American at Garden City (Kan.) Community College who recorded 276 career tackles.
September 20, 2018
September 19, 2018