March 16, 2005
Clemson, SC – The Tigers, ranked 19th, were victorious over #24 South Carolina, 5-2, in women’s tennis action on Wednesday afternoon. With the win, Clemson improves to 10-6 overall, while the Gamecocks fall to 7-4. The Tigers have now won their last five matches and have won the doubles point in each of their last six contests.
All three Clemson doubles teams were victorious over South Carolina, marking the third straight match the squad has accomplished the feat. Julie Coin and Romy Farah, currently ranked 40th in the ITA doubles poll, easily won their No.1 match-up over the Gamecock team of Danielle Wiggins and Magda Wojdylo, 8-1. Christyn Lucas and Miranda Gutierrez fell to the Tigers’ Maria Brito and Richele LeSaldo at No.2, 9-7. In the No.3 slot, Ioana Paun and Carol Salge defeated Laura Ganzer and Fallon Koon by a score of 8-6.
Clemson also won four of the singles matches, led by Coin’s straight-set victory over Wiggins in the top position, 6-0, 6-0. Coin, currently ranked second in the nation, extended her winning streak to 15 matches and is now 24-2 overall in singles play.
Farah, ranked 87th, won the No.2 contest for the Tigers as she defeated Lucas by a score of 6-4, 6-4. South Carolina’s Ganzer took the No.2 slot over Carol Salge, 6-2, 6-0, but Daniela Alvarez returned to the Clemson lineup to post a victory at the No.4 position. After losing the first set 6-1 to Gutierrez, she took the second and third sets, 7-5, 6-2, for the win. The Tigers’ Alix Lacelarie retired after the first set against Wojdylo at No.5. Brito easily defeated the Gamecocks’ Koon in the No.6 contest, 6-1, 6-1.
The Tigers travel to California next week to face San Diego, Sacramento State and Pepperdine during the university’s spring break.
#19 Clemson 5, #24 South Carolina 2
1. #40 Coin/Farah (CU) def. Wiggins/Wojdylo (USC) 8-1
2. Brito/LeSaldo (CU) def. Lucas/Gutierrez (USC) 9-7
3. Paun/Salge (CU) def. Ganzer/Koon (USC) 8-6
1. #2 Julie Coin (CU) def. Danielle Wiggins (USC) 6-0, 6-0
2. #87 Romy Farah (CU) def. Christyn Lucas (USC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Laura Ganzer (USC) def. Carol Salge (CU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Daniela Alvarez (CU) def. Miranda Gutierrez (USC) 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Magda Wojdylo (USC) def. Alix Lacelarie (CU) 7-6, ret.
6. Maria Brito (CU) def. Fallon Koon (USC) 6-1, 6-1
November 11, 2018
September 12, 2018
August 8, 2018
August 2, 2018